All of you know just how much I LOVE tattoos, so it’s probably no surprise to you that the countdown is on until I get my next one (June 6th can’t get here fast enough!) but I have to admit that this time I’m a little nervous, not because of the tattoo itself (I know what to expect with it) but because I want to make sure I can still work out and not disturb the healing process, so I’ve been researching new tattoos and working out (haven’t found a whole lot) so that I can be sure to get the right information…
When I first did a google search, I actually didn’t come up with a lot of information that I trusted, and what I did find wasn’t exactly credible information, so I had to dig further… I contacted people I know who work out all the time and have AWESOME ink, and I talked to my artist, Michael Heard of ArchAngel Tattoos in Columbus, Georgia (AKA the most awesome tattoo god known to man!) to get his suggestions. While everyone has different opinions on aftercare of tattoos, there are a few things that we all agreed on:
- Exercise should be fine 24-48 hours after getting a tattoo if there is no discomfort, but make sure you follow appropriate aftercare instructions so it properly heals.
- Clean your tattoo with antibacterial soap and pat it dry with a towel.
- You should use an unscented lotion for moisture.
- Do not take a bath, sit in a hot tub or swim for two weeks after getting a tattoo.
- Do not wear clothes that will rub the tattoo (this can remove your scab early, causing a nasty blurry mess).
The most important advice I can give you (other than make sure you have an amazing artist) is to talk to your artist if you have any questions. He will be able to give you the best advice on taking care of your new investment (after all, good ink is expensive!). Hopefully this has answered any questions you have regarding tattoos and working out… If not, please feel free to write me, or just leave me a comment and I will do my best to answer them for you!