In my last post, I said that I had signed up for my first 5k… Yes, I did. I’m terribly excited about this, even though my running time sucks, because I haven’t ran (other than short sprints after the kids) since I was a teenager. So when I made the decision to start running again, I did some research and I decided to start running like I never had before. And now, I bring to you, running for beginners!
Running For Beginners
Now, if you’re a smart phone junkie like I am, I have an absolutely wonderful app for you that I am convinced is the greatest thing ever invented! Go to your Google Play Store and search for C25K. C25K stands for Couch to 5k. C25K is perfect for anyone who is just starting out… Don’t get me wrong, it gets hard, REALLY HARD, but it’s a great way to start running for beginners. The most important part of this program is to not be afraid to repeat a day if it felt like it was too hard. Repeat it until it’s easier.
Now, here are some more important tips… Actually, here’s a list of things that you’ll need, that you shouldn’t have to figure out the hard way like I did.
Running for beginners checklist:
- Running Shoes
- You DO NOT want to wear cheap Walmart shoes… I LOVE my Brooks and New Balance. If you are serious about running, as my friend Carlos would say, go get fitted for running shoes!
- Flip Belt or Arm Band
- Because you need to put your phone somewhere… I personally am in love with my flip belt and would wear it everywhere if I could.
- Running Socks
- This was another lesson I learned the really hard way, through lots and lots of blisters
- Water Bottle
- I started out carrying a throwaway water bottle, but that’s sooooo bad for the environment, so you should really invest in a reusable one.
- Awesome workout clothes
- Great music
- Headband, to keep your hair out of your face
- Earbuds, or a bluetooth headset to listen to music and your coach with C25K
I’m sure that I’ve left something off the list, and I’ll make sure to keep it updated. Make sure to comment with your must haves for running! AND make sure to comment with your tips/advice/encouragement for running for beginners.